Located in the south East Asia, Vietnam is among the top twenty most populous countries. Neighbouring countries of Vietnam are China, Laos and Cambodia. The official native language in Vietnam is Vietnamese.
People and culture
Having been one of the oldest cultured people in Asia, it is believed to be part of the East Asia culture sphere. This country colonized by China has various cultural differences amongst themselves. The use of Latin alphabet and catholic faith are some of the cultures inherited from the Europeans.
What to do before visiting Vietnam
Any tour or visit to another country is bound to be adventurous. Some tourists get overwhelmed with excitement and overlook some key details:
· When packing, keep your credit cards, money and air ticket in a place that’s safe, you can remember and access easily.
· Use travel agencies that are registered. For tourists visiting from the United States, it is important to know the requirements you need after your visit is done. Travellers are required to fill an ESTA form a few days prior to your travel to the states. This also applies to anyone who plans to travel to the United States.
· Dress appropriately. If you are planning to visit pagodas, then carry the right attire. Some pagodas are used as places of worship.
· Vietnamese is comprised of a population that is conservative. Do not carry clothes that are exposing. This makes the locals uncomfortable.
· Public display of affection should be limited. However, it is okay to hold hands while walking.
Places to visit
· Ho Chi Minh City.
It boasts as one of the major international business cities. The skyscrapers give a magnificent view of the city. Watch the sun set and welcome the night at one of the tallest buildings. The view is breath taking.
This is the capital city of Vietnam. Just like any other capital city in the world there is a lot of bustle and hustle. Tourists tend to overlook capital cities because of the activities that go on. However, the presence of the pagodas and the temple of literature is enough reason to visit the city.
· The emperor’s private residence is situated here. The famous forbidden purple city where it is believed he houses his mistresses is also at Hue. When visiting this place, ensure you taste the beef noodle soup locally known as bun Bo bue.
For an amazing view, go for trekking on the hills of Sapa. Be sure to see the mountain ranges in Vietnam. The locals there have equipment that you can rent for easy movement through the jungles. Sapa is also a home to various minority ethnic groups.
· Ha Long Bay
Locally known as the descending dragon bay. Limestone karsts of different shapes and sizes make this place a popular destination. This area is also a prehistoric site as it is believed to have had human beings many years ago.
· Ben Tre
Ben Tre is located in the Mekong delta, southern province of Vietnam. Enjoy the view of sunset, catching flies while cruising along the river.